22 June 2012
Cheaper, Greener and Easier than Going Abroad - A Few Alternatives to Holidays Overseas this Summer
Everyone's searching for cheaper, green and easier holidays and short breaks this year and the team at Visit Ryedale believe there's no need to jet off to the "usual" holiday haunts. Far better alternatives can be found in North Yorkshire and there's evidence that the public prefer it too. How many people go to the Grand Canyon or New Zealand more than once? And yet, the Yorkshire Visitor Survey * recently found that as many as 88% visitors come back to the area!
1. Forget the Grand Canyon, come and see the Hole of Horcum.
2. Save your money on the Orient Express, try the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.
3. The Italian Riviera is passé, the North Yorkshire Coast is the place to be (and the Times recently said "Whitby has just as much, if not more, to offer as the Amalfi Coast").
4. Do you really want to go to Versailles when you could come to Castle Howard? At Castle Howard they really will "let them eat cake" - without chopping heads off".
5. Forget the climb up Machu Piccu, the views from the White Horse at Sutton Bank are fantastic, and there's no altitude sickness.
6. Don't get lost in the vastness of Canada, come and cycle in Dalby Forest instead.
7. Hollywood is soulless, see heartbeat country around Goathland or enjoy the nostalgia of the World of James Herriot.
8. Don't risk life and limb bungy jumping in New Zealand, take the safer, family fun options at Go Ape.
9. No need to travel to far off Australian shores, surfing in Scarborough is fantastic!
To start your search for that perfect cottage, B&B or campsite visit our Accommodation section.
For a full list of events this Summer, visit our Ryedale What's On section.
To book your Spring break, contact one of our Tourist Information Centres.